You will need:
- 1-28 ounce can of whole Italian plum tomatoes
- 1-cup of vegetable stock.
- 1-large onion chopped into small pieces
- 3-medium potatoes cubed
- 1- small eggplant cubed
- 1-red bell pepper cut in small pieces
- 4-cloves of garlic sliced
- A hand full of string beans cut in half
- 1-zucchini cut into bite size cubes
- mushrooms about 4 ounces cut into quarters
- 2-bay leaves
- 2-tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1- tsp Salt
- 1- tsp fresh black pepper
- In a large pot heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Then add the potatoes, eggplant, salt and pepper and sauté this for 5 minutes.
- Now add the plum tomatoes and all their juice, stock and bay leaves. Bring this to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and continue to simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Now add the balance of the ingredients and simmer 20 minutes un covered, stirring several times.
- Remove the bay leaves and taste for salt and pepper and add if necessary. Try a potato and a eggplant and if they are done so is the Giambotta! I serve this with some grated Romano cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. As far as vegetables you can use whatever you prefer just be sure to add the vegetables that take longer to cook, first.
– Daniel Mancini