Baked Eggplant Parmigiana
My un breaded, un fried eggplant parmigiana is still loaded with lots of great flavors. Now I’m not saying I don’t love a good breaded and fried eggplant, because I do. This version is lighter and perfect for a weeknights dinner when we don’t have time for frying process.
- 1-large eggplant cut into 1” rings
- grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-28 oz can whole plum tomatoes rough crushed with your hands so it is chunky
- black pepper
- 1/2-lb of mozzarella you shred
- olive oil
- 4-garlic cloves minced
- fresh basil
- 1/2-tsp dry oregano
- Put 1/2-cup of olive oil in a small bowl and add the minced garlic, 1/2-tsp salt, oregano, 1/4-tsp pepper and let this sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle olive oil in a large baking dish and spread it around
- Place the eggplant rings in the baking dish.
- Brush a little garlic olive oil on the eggplant and top each eggplant ring with 1-tbs grated Parmesan cheese and spread it evenly.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the shredded mozzarella and with your hands place tomatoes on top with just a little of the juice.
- Spoon the balance of the tomatoes and their juice around the baking dish but not on the eggplant.
- Place back in the oven for 15 minutes to melt the cheese. Longer if you like.
Serve with the tomatoes from the baking dish, more grated cheese a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and the fresh basil.