Fried Mozzarella Sticks
These are easy and fun to make. Best part you control the ingredients so use best quality mozzarella and that makes the world of difference.
- 1 lb block low moisture mozzarella
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups dry bread crumbs
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Marinara sauce for serving
- Cut the mozzarella into finger shaped pieces. Roughy 1/2 inch square and then the length of the block
- Working with one piece of cheese at a time, coat the cheese with flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Dip the cheese into the eggs and lift out and let the excess egg drip off.
- Coat the cheese with the breadcrumbs.
- Dip the cheese into the egg a second time.
- Coat the cheese with the bread crumbs a second time.
- Place the sticks in your freezer and allow them to completely freeze
- Heat two inches of oil in a pot to 350F.
- Fry the cheese sticks for 2 to 3 minutes. They are done when they look golden brown.
- Drain the sticks on a paper towel.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce.
- If you use fresh mozzarella instead of low moisture mozzarella dry the cheese in paper towels after slicing it
- You can add any herbs, spices or Romano cheese to the bread crumbs to flavor them.
- If you do not have a thermometer then just sprinkle some bread crumbs into the oil when it seems hot. If they sizzle in the oil without burning then you are ready.
- Fry the sticks in batches with plenty of room between each stick. This will insure that you have a crunchy crust that is not greasy.